Marshmallow Android is the latest Android version, but not many devices are running on it yet. Many manufacturers try to push the Marshmallow updates their latest devices and quite possibly older devices will not taste the official time of Marshmallow soon. However, Sony was a bit better in terms of Marshmallow updates as they have already pushed updates to many flagship models and now it’s time for the Xperia Z2, compact Z3 and Z3 to run on Android 6.0 .1 Marshmallow.
Marshmallow The update is rolling out to Xperia Z2 (D6503 only), Xperia Z3 (D6603 only) and Xperia Z3 Compact (D5803 only) models. This should cover the unlocked phones in the US, Latin America, Middle East, Africa, Russia and Ukraine. The latest firmware comes with 23.5.A.0.570 build number, which is the same as the recent beta. The firmware also includes the latest Sony camera app 2.0 and the February security patches.
The OTA update might hit devices soon, but if you’re curious to get the Android Marshmallow now you can download the firmware files FTF and install them on your device. So we’ll see how to install the official Marshmallow firmware on Xperia Z2, Z3 and Z3 Compact.
- Backup your device storage, Contacts, SMS etc. using Google Sync service or any third-party app. see here >> How to Back Up Android Data and keep safe Everything
- Enable USB Debugging Mode..
- Install proper drivers for your Xperia on your PC. You can download the Sony drivers from here.
- Charge your Xperia device above 60%+ battery level to avoid shutdowns during the process.
- Xperia Z3 Compact (D5803) 23.5.A.0.570 Latin America Generic (Android 6.0.1)
- Xperia Z3 (D6603) 23.5.A.0.570 Ukraine Generic (Android 6.0.1)
- Xperia Z2 (D6503) 23.5.A.0.570 Philippines Generic (Android 6.0.1)
Flash Marshmallow Firmware on Xperia Z2, Z3, and Z3 Compact
- Download the Sony FTF flash tool and install it on your PC → Click Here
- Before proceeding, make sure that you’ve installed the Sony USB drivers as well as the Flash tool drivers (Flash Mode drivers and fastboot drivers).
- Download the required firmware file from above links and paste the FTF file in the C:/Flashtool/firmwares directory.
- Now open the Flash Tool and select the FTF package you want to install on your Xperia device.
- You should see the screen like this before flashing (you will see the name of the device and firmware version depending on your device):
- From the right panel, check all the options under the Wipe tab and Don’t check the No Final Verification option.
- Click on the Flash button at the bottom-right corner of firmware tab.
- You’ll get a prompt asking you to go to Fastboot mode or, Flashmode choose Flashmode.
- Once more click on the Flash button to flash the FTF file on your Xpera device.
- Now connect your smartphone with your computer: First, turn off your device and connect it with the PC while holding the volume down button.
- The device will be detected and the installation process will be automatically started. Wait for the process to complete and then reboot.
That’s it; the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update process has been successfully completed. You can now use the 23.5.A.0.570 OS on your Sony Xperia Z3. Enjoy.
The first start will take a bit longer, so sit back and relax while your boots Xperia device in the latest update of Marshmallow 6. Leave us your first impressions of the update in the comments section below.